Lateral Stress Velo was founded in 1996 by our President, Dr. David Scharff, after securing the old DeGroen's brewpub as the team's title sponsor. You can see a gallery of the club's jerseys here.
As we have grown over the last 20 years, we have embraced performance cycling and racing in all its forms including Road, Mountain, Cross, Ultra-Marathon, and High-Performance Recreational Riders. In all, we currently have about 100 members. LSV is proud to field the Kelly Benefits Strategies/LSV Elite Cycling Team.
We proudly put on BikeJam, Baltimore‘s premier bike race and cycling festival, home of the Kelly Cup, in Patterson Park annually.
We welcome new members of all abilities, so feel free to join us on a group ride, or drop by one of our meetings, have a beer and check us out.
We are sanctioned by USA Cycling and are part of both the Mid-Atlantic Bicycle Racing Association and the Pennsylvania Cycling Association.
Past Milestones for the team and club include:
- 2000 Host District Cyclocross Championships
- 2001 Host National Cyclocross Championships
- 2001-2003 represented Trek/VW Regional Program
- 2002 USA Cycling Club of the Year
- 2004-2007 Host of NRC Race, “The Kelly Cup”
- 2006 National Elite Road Champion
- 2007 3rd place National Elite Criterium Championship
- 2009 2nd place Jr. National Road Championship
- 2013 2nd place Masters 35-39 National Individual TT Championship
- 2015 2nd place Amateur Elite National TTT Championship
- 2015 5th & 6th place Amateur Elite National Individual TT Championship
- 2016 National TTT Elite Champions (see image below)
We have placed 14 riders into the Pro Ranks to date:
Matt Cooke, Kevin Gottlieb, Chris Hong, Chris Keeling, Shane Kline, Justin Mauch, Reid Mumford, Clay Murfet, Tom Soladay, Nick Waite, Nate Wilson, Curtis Windsor, Bryan Lewis and Scott McGill.
Our former riders have ridden for a variety of pro teams including:
Rally Pro Cycling, Lupus Racing, Optum p/b Kelly Benefit Strategies, Bissell, Airgas, Kenda, Team Type 1, Team Exergy, Giant California Strawberry, HealthNet, Mountain Khakis, Navigators and Aevolo.